A bit about me —
I’m an entrepreneur, now working on Mezli as cofounder and CEO. We’re a YC-backed startup building robot restaurants that make “Michelin-star food at McDonald’s prices.”
Before Mezli, I was at Stanford, where I worked on various subfields of AI and machine learning, initially with a focus on educational technology. My research interests included natural language processing and generative models. I dropped out of my PhD program to start Mezli.
Before Stanford, I was an Associate Product Manager at Google, a consultant in data science and product management, and a software engineer. I went to college at UChicago, where I earned a BS and MS in computer science and a minor in statistics.
Outside of work, I enjoy climbing, skiing, tennis, sailing, running, reading (check out my list of favorites!), and playing music.
- How to talk to ChatGPT through Siri
- How To: Talk to GPT-3 through Siri
- Crypto is an Unproductive Bubble
- Regulating Resiliency in Supply Chains
- The Case for White-Collar Apprenticeships
- The Importance of India
- What Can AI Really Do?
- A bird’s-eye view of modern AI from NeurIPS 2019
Get new essays delivered directly to your inbox.
- Y. Alex Kolchinski*, Sharon Zhou*, Shengjia Zhao, Mitchell Gordon, Stefano Ermon. Approximating Human Judgment of Generated Image Quality. Shared Visual Representations in Human and Machine Intelligence workshop at NeurIPS 2019.
- Y. Alex Kolchinski, Christopher Potts. Representing Social Media Users for Sarcasm Detection. Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP), 2018.
- Y. Alex Kolchinski*, Sherry Ruan*, Dan Schwartz, Emma Brunskill. Adaptive natural-language targeting for student feedback. WIP Learning at Scale (LAS), 2018.